Interviewing actress Lottie Elizabeth Fielder
1.-Can you tell us a little about yourself and how you started your acting career?
I am a multi-disciplinary performer, writer and aspiring director with 16+ years of experience across stage and screen. My passions include physical theatre, immersive performance and I have recently become an Aerialist. I started at age nine in my first performance at Groundlings theatre in Portsmouth as the role of Mole in Wind in the Willows, from that moment onward I fell in love with the theatre and performance world and knew it's what I wanted to do.
2.-What inspired you to become an actress?
Growing up I was lucky enough to attend a lot of theatre performances and I was always in awe of those gracing the stage. I had a strong urge to get up on the stage and join them! The thought of being able to capture the audience's emotions with a performance always had me excited.
3.-Which role has been the most challenging for you so far, and why?
I was involved in a production performed as part of training at East 15 Acting School, which was a self devised piece by my group about Beauty and the Beast. Not your average Beauty and the Beast, this was a version taken over by domestic abuse. I had the role of the beast's mother who had endured domestic violence. This role was particularly challenging because it was difficult to find the line between the nurturing side of the mother and the broken side of her as a victim of abuse.
4.-How do you prepare for a new character?
I like to do all my research within the script of this character, their moments, thoughts and most importantly their objectives and motives. Once I'm familiar with the character inside out, I enjoy listening to music I feel resonates with the character to add my own soundtrack to their world, to really immerse me in their perspective.
5.-Is there a particular performance that you are especially proud of?
Whilst studying at Havant and South downs college we had to devise our own show. I had the idea and wrote the script for our play 'Jack' a theatrical version loosely based on the case of Jack the Ripper. It had beautifully sensitive moments mixed with what I like to call a 'feast for the eyes'. We had amazing physical theatre sequences that echoed the story we were trying to tell. After the performance the audience was raving about it asking if it was a real published show already written by a professional playwright!
6.-What have been some of the biggest challenges you have faced in the entertainment industry?
This industry is definitely not an easy path to choose. I had my first acting CV created at age 13 and I remember sending it out to hundreds of agencies with no prevail, still to this day with perseverance I have not had success with an agent. The industry is saturated full of different types of people wanting to become the next Hollywood actor, so to try stand out and get recognised amongst thousands is a challenge everyday, but now I take it as a blessing that I do not have any agency I am tied to so I can be free and choose my own path.
7.-How do you balance your personal life with your professional career?
I try to blend both efficiently, because performance, creating and story-telling is my passion and it merges into both my personal and professional life. This industry isn't always airs and graces and often acting jobs come and go, so I also work a normal job too at an escape room to keep my finances up.
8.-Have you ever learned a valuable lesson from a character you portrayed?
I had the opportunity to play Michelle Urbin in Worlds Most Evil Killers, a real life girl who was tragically murdered. Her story is incredibly sad and traumatic so I learned how to sensitvely portray the role effectively without crossing the line of getting too emotionally involved and over acting her last moments in her life.
9.-Who are some actors or actresses that have inspired you throughout your career?
Ricky Gervais, who isn't just an actor but a comedic visionary and writer. He pushes boundaries and has his own visions that he pursues without the worry of those who judge or dislike his work. He is inspiring to me because he was made redundant at his job in his late 30s and decided to take a shot at doing what he loves and he prevailed. Age is just a number and that fact he took a risk not to go back into a 9-5 and instead stuck with his passions really inspires me, anyone can achieve their dreams no matter what stage of life they're in.
10.-What do you enjoy most about working in film and television?
I enjoy the camaraderie of the cast and crew, moments sitting off camera discussing the next scene with your castmates. The costume, makeup and different locations is always a fun experience, really immersing into the character and timeline.
11.-How has the industry changed since you began your career?
The industry has now evolved into casting directors seeking social media creators and a digital presence. A lot of new upcoming talent has been scouted through online platforms instead of the old fashioned in person auditions. The same can be said for self -tapes, since COVID self-tapes have become the predominant way of auditioning now which I feel is a shame because I personally enjoy walking into a room and showing the casting directors my presence physically, not digitally.
12.-What advice would you give to young people who dream of becoming actors?
The road will be bumpy but keep at it. If it is something you truly want to pursue, have perseverance and never give up and enjoy the ride!
13.-Are there any upcoming projects that you are excited to share with your fans?
I have a few projects that I am currently working on, a brand new sitcom which should be moving into its creative collaboration stage soon. I am also on draft three of my physical theatre play Embers set in an unknown timeline deep in a dystopian future.
14.-What would you like your legacy to be as an actress?
I want to be known as a visionary, not just an actress. I am a creator of worlds, stories and magic. My legacy will be that like Shakespeare's, known and enjoyed by humanity centuries later. I want to be known for changing the world of performance and bringing a level of energy, vision and excitement that weaves its way through future timelines infinitely.
Comments
Post a Comment