Interviewing actor Martin Rutegard
1. What first inspired you to become an actor, and when did you realize that acting was your passion?
I was interested in TV and film from a very young age and my twin brother, identical twin brother and I used to play with our video camera all the time. We had a lot of fun making little films and recording scenes with our friends. The camera was like a friend to us. Even as a child I had the idea of making films were something I would enjoy. When I reached my teenage years I started to realize that acting was something I genuinely wanted to pursue in the future.
2. How would you describe yourself as an actor in three words?
In three words I would say: Reliable, easygoing and approachable.
3. When you receive a new script, what is the first thing you look for in your character?
The first thing I look for is what the character wants and what drives him. Get to know the person you are going to be and make sure you understand the character.
4. How do you prepare yourself emotionally and physically for a demanding role?
I prepare by getting to know the character as deeply as possible. I spend a lot of time with the script, thinking about the character’s circumstances, relationships and emotional journey. Physically I make sure I’m rested, focused and ready. Once I’m on set I try to stay open and present and let the situation take over.
5. Is there a particular character you have played who has changed you personally?
One character who has stayed with me for many years is when I played a farmer in a short film about heresy in 2015. What affected me most was his love for his daughter, who is accused of heresy. He is a father who is forced to face fear, injustice and the possibility of losing his daughter. This I found very powerful to explore, because you had to know how people were treated those days. I really loved playing the character and the film later received an award in the United States. That made the experience even more special. But it was the relationship between the father and his daughter that stayed with me the most. Hopefully it will be a feature soon.
6. What has been the biggest challenge you have faced during your acting career?
I think one of the biggest challenges has been learning to stay patient and keep believing in myself. As an actor you can work very hard and still have periods where opportunities are limited. Over the years, I’ve learned that you have to keep developing, keep creating your own opportunities and not let rejection define you. That has made me more resilient and also a better actor. But every day is a struggle, both in a good and a bad way.
7. Do you prefer playing characters who are similar to you, or do you enjoy stepping completely outside your comfort zone?
I enjoy both but I especially like stepping outside my comfort zone. It’s exciting to explore characters who are very different from me and to discover how they think, behave and see the world in their eyes. At the same time I think there is always a part of yourself in every character you play. Even when the character is completely different from you, you can still find something emotionally familiar that makes the performance feel truthful.
8. What has been the most memorable moment you have experienced on a film or television set?
One of the most memorable moments in my career was receiving an award in Hollywood for the short film in which I played the farmer. It was a very special experience and a moment I will always remember. But what continues to inspire me most is meeting and working with other actors and filmmakers. Every project gives me the opportunity to learn something new from the people around me. That is what I love most about being an actor.
9. Which actor or filmmaker has inspired you the most throughout your career?
Michael Douglas has been a great inspiration to me throughout my career. I admire the way he can be very natural and understated while still having a strong presence on screen. He can communicate so much through a look, a pause or a very small change in expression. That truthful acting is something I really appreciate and try to bring into my own work
10. What is the best piece of advice you have ever received about acting?
One of the best pieces of advice I’ve received is to take care of the people you have around you. Value your friends, your colleagues and everyone you work with on set. Acting is a collaborative profession and I believe that how you treat people is just as important as what you do in front of the camera. The people you meet along the way are part of the journey and some of them can become lifelong friends.
11. Is there a dream role or a particular type of character you would love to play in the future?
I would love to play a character that allows me to work with actors such as Benedict Cumberbatch or Will Ferrell. They are very different performers which is part of what makes that idea so exciting to me. For me the dream is to work with inspiring actors and filmmakers and keep challenging myself. Comedy is one of my favorites.
12. How do you deal with criticism and the pressure that can come with being an actor?
I try to focus on myself and what I can do, rather than comparing myself to other actors. I listen to criticism and take from it what I feel can help me grow. I also think it’s important to surround yourself with positive people who support you and keep you grounded. The acting profession can be unpredictable, so having good people around you makes a big difference.
13. If you could go back to the beginning of your career, what advice would you give to your younger self?
Never give up and believe in what you are doing. There will always be moments of doubt and rejection. You have to keep moving forward and trust your own path. I would tell my younger self to be patient, keep learning and never lose sight of why I started acting in the first place.
14. Finally, what does cinema mean to you, and what do you hope audiences feel when they watch your work?
Cinema to me is about human connection. I love the intimacy of film and the way a truthful performance can make an audience feel that they are witnessing something real. As an actor, I always try to be honest and authentic in my work, to make it real. If you feel this wasn't good, do it again. I hope that when people watch something I’ve been part of they can connect with the character, feel something. Also perhaps see a little bit of themselves in the story.
Comments
Post a Comment